Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Just say "No" to proofreading

This was on the MSN Canada homepage on November 8, 2013. The first error jumped out at me: the apostrophe is misplaced in what should have been Dragons' Den. The second error, however, snuck up on me. At first I thought, okay, two or more teens have started a successful business. That's a safe and correct thing to think after reading "but pre-teens biz a hit", right? But do you see the link right below that? It says her business. Hmm, I guess there was supposed to be an apostrophe in pre-teen's. So,

I clicked to the article ("Toeless socks business booming" on MSN Canada Money on November 7, 2013) and sure enough, the business is run by just one teen. Therefore, in one sentence on the homepage there is both a misplaced apostrophe and a missing apostrophe. But at least the apostrophe in Dragons' Den is correct in the article's subheadline. Click an image to enlarge it.

No comments: